Sunday, 24 May 2015

London Photo Diary

The Big Smoke. The City. London.

London will always hold a special place in my heart - it has been the destination of an annual city break ever since I was a little girl. 

I'm a complete country girl at heart, I relish being able to look out of my bedroom window and see fields, I love being able to walk outside and only hear birds chirping, I like taking country roads short cuts. But there comes a time each year when I crave the city. I crave the hustle and bustle, the great shopping, and the wide variety of places to eat out. And when that happens - we book a trip to London.

We spent three days in the city last week and it was a crazy, insanely jam-packed, wonderful time so I thought I'd share some of my favourite memories of the trip...

lancaster gate london

covent garden london roof

shake shack shack burger


After ooh-ing and ahh-ing and grinning excitedly at each other as we looked out of our taxi window on our way to our hotel (we stayed at the Lancaster Gate Hotel - we stayed there last time we were in the city (read that catch up post {here}) and had no complaints so we didn't hesitate to book to stay there again this time!), we quickly and painlessly checked in, threw our bags into our room and ran out of the hotel to head straight for our favourite spot in town - Covent Garden.

Our first stop was Shake Shack - of course - I waxed lyrical about this amazing burger spot last time we stayed over in the city (yep, I wrote a whole post on it - {here}!) and had been craving one ever since! Honestly, this is fast food out of this world - I'm salivating just remembering it - I mean, come on, look at that thing of beauty!

After getting my Shake Shack fix - we decided to stroll along to try to find Wholefoods (side note: shout out to the city mapper app for being our saviour on this trip!). 

Both Mum and I are avid YT watchers so we'd been dying to experience this Wholefoods thing for ourselves - and whoa we were not disappointed! Both of us walked round open-mouthed at the amazing display of healthy goodies - the display of fresh fruit and salads, the make your own salad bar/dinner bar and the variety of pre-made healthy salads and dinners really wow-ed us both!

As per our tradition we always gather up supplies to spend out first evening in the city relaxing in the hotel room with room service so Wholefoods was a great stop for that! We picked up amazing salads and seriously yummy-looking fruit bowls (and some questionable kale chips that I just couldn't get on board with!) for our feast that evening!


I honestly wish that there was a Wholefoods more local to us because it even got me excited about salad and fruit. And that's quite the accolade :P  


fortnum and mason breakfast the fountain restaurant

fortnum and mason breakfast the fountain restaurant

fortnum and mason peonies

regent street london

liberty's london

We didn't waste one moment of Tuesday - we ran around the city like crazy-people trying to fit everything in but it was so much fun!

We started the day off bright and early in Fortnum & Mason's for breakfast and it was the most incredible breakfast experience I've ever had. The food was out of this world, the service was beyond perfection and the setting was beautifully luxurious. But I'm going to leave it there because I've got a whole review coming because I really think the Breakfast at Fortnum's deserves its own post - it was that good! Of course we had to pop upstairs to pick up some of our favourite tea to bring home with us - their English Breakfast tea is so delicious!

Substantially fed and watered we set about our day of shopping; we strolled down Regent Street, popped into Anthropologie (can I call myself a proper blogger now that I've got myself one of those initial mugs?!), spent far too long wandering around Liberty's (I love that store!) and then finished up our morning in Selfridges - the temptation to purchase a new handbag was definitely real!

vintage salt selfridge's roof top

afternoon tea 108 pantry the marylebone hotel

The afternoon saw Mum and me splitting off - I left her in the new pop-up restaurant on Selfridge’s roof top. Vintage Salt is the quaintest beach-themed place to be at the moment – plus their truffle fries are on point!

Whilst I’d have loved to have stayed and soaked up some of the spring sunshine on the roof top I had to leave to go for a very special meeting! After two years Aftab, the awesome blogger behind {fresh & fearless}, and I finally met up in real life! Aftab organised an amazing treat – we enjoyed afternoon tea at 108 Pantry in the lovely Marylebone Hotel! I left all of the serious blogging shots to Aftab (like the one above!) so go and check out his {review} of our afternoon! I had such a great afternoon with my first ever blogging friend – I’m astounded and so thankful that the blogging world managed to bring us together!


les miserables

After consuming far too much tea (it was fab!) Ma and I re-convened and headed back to our hotel for a bit of a rest and to get changed ready to go and catch Les Miserables that evening!

Les Miserables is my all-time favourite musical. It so special to me because it was the last production that I stage-managed for in high school! I particularly wanted to see the show with this cast because of Carrie Hope Fletcher. I wanted to see just how amazing she is at portraying Eponine – I’ve never seen anyone become a character more completely, she ‘was’ Eponine. It was incredible to watch.

breakfast bill's restaurant covent garden

Wednesday morning came around and after staying up discussing how breath-taking last night’s performance of Les Mis was, Ma and I weren’t not feeling quite so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as we had the day before!


Breakfast at Bill’s in Covent Garden was just the thing to perk us up! This was our first experience at Bill’s and we thoroughly enjoyed it! The staff were all so friendly and the food was seriously delicious! The blueberry pancakes were amazing!

trafalgar square london nelsons column st paul's cathedral

admiralty arch the mall london

We rounded off our trip by playing tourists – we walked to Trafalgar Square and just sat on the wall soaking up the last bit of the city before wandering past Admiralty Arch on The Mall to hail a cab to the station to catch our train home.

As sad as I was to leave the city, arriving home to the peace and quiet of country life made me very thankful for where I live – despite the lack of good brunch spots :P


Fret not London, I’ll be back soon, you know I can’t stay away for too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...